Responsible for the design and implementation of payroll tax strategy and compliance, including the oversight of payroll taxes. In addition, you'll establish quality assurance systems and processes to create durable and repeatable payroll and tax processes, including system set-up and customer service. While part of the central Shared Services Team, this role can be remote with occasional travel to our global headquarters as needed.
- Comprehensive payroll knowledge including: payroll tax computations, exempt/non-exempt classification rules, pre and post-tax deductions, taxable and non-taxable income items, commission and bonuses, W-2 generations, and timekeeping systems
- Strong leadership, administrative, organizational, managerial and communication skills
- Ability to form strong partnerships across reporting relationships
- Ability to analyze information, identify the root cause of an issue, and develop/implement approved solutions
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Ability to perform complex mathematical and payroll calculations
- Ability to build queries and reports using organizational report writing tools
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office software with an emphasis in Excel
- Remains current on legislation and regulatory rulings that impact payroll or payroll tax to ensure compliance.
- Establishes payroll processing standards, timeframes, and communications to effectively and efficiently handle all tax obligations with tax partners.
- Creates processes and systems to recommend methods to continuously improve the design and production of payroll and compliance functions.
- Provide support for tax audits and answer inquiries from various taxing jurisdictions.
- Research, interpret and understand existing or revised tax codes, laws, or forms.
- Develops recommendations and cost-benefit analysis to effectively align strategic initiatives with payroll and business operations.
- Performs tax reconciliations and determines liability for accounts, divisions, or business units.
- Provides analysis, advice, and counsel to business leaders about the impacts of regulatory changes.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with in-house counsel for definitive rulings and guidance on compliance issues and audit requests.
- Defines, clarifies, and drives a common understanding of the business process for project success.
- Provides subject matter expertise to support tax setups, integrations, technical tax upgrades, etc.
- Assists in researching payroll tax issues related to Stock Options, RSU’s, Gross Ups and Relocation.
- Assists with expatriate and relocation programs ensuring tax compliance.
- Prepares and delivers effective organizational change management and communication.
- Manages relationships with internal clients and all stakeholders.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with third parties/vendors.
- Works across organizational functions and boundaries and builds internal networks to effectively implement payroll solutions.
- Minimum of 10 years' experience working in a large multi-state complex global organization.
- 3-5 years of payroll leadership experience.
- Strong knowledge in the following areas of Payroll; processing, corrections, FLSAOT, taxes (multi-state and reciprocity), employee payroll tax maintenance, expats, gross-to-net calculations, taxable fringe benefit, year-end W-2s, W-2cs, T4s and other related payroll tax tasks.
- Working experience with ADP, Workday, PeopleSoft and other payroll and tax filing platforms.
- Independent problem-solving in an automated environment.
- Performs work with a high degree of latitude.
- Possesses expert knowledge in payroll tax.
- Logical, linear, systematic thinking.
- Responsible for a team of tax professionals and provides functional advice, providing ongoing coaching and feedback, recognizing and developing employees, identifying and managing risks, and completing daily management tasks.
- Demonstrated self-starter, ability to adapt rapidly to new information, and ability to inspire and foster a team environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced quickly changing environment with high volume.
- Passionate about continuous learning and serves as an effective change agent to grow skillsets and talents within the organization while accomplishing key initiatives and projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, human resources, accounting, or related field or equivalent experience
- CPA or CPP preferred
Interpublic Group of Companies, Inc.