- Purpose of Job
- Performs various direct and indirect resident care activities and functions under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse or Leadership to meet the needs of the unit and the facility.
- Direct patient care functions include but are not limited to: Administration of medications and treatments, taking vital signs, charting, escorting and transporting residents, and assisting with activities of daily living.
- Indirect resident care activities and functions include but are not limited to: housekeeping and supply maintenances within a safe, protective environment.
- Reports resident changes to nurse.
- Job Requirements
- 75 hour CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) course required.
- A high school diploma or equivalent General Educational Development (G.E.D.), may include specialized or vocational courses preferred.
- 40 Hour Medication Aide Certification required.
- Six months CNA experience preferably in Long Term Care/Skilled Care required.
- One to two years preferably in Long Term Care/Skilled Care preferred.
- Medication Aide (MA) experience preferred.
- Medical terminology.
- Work is straightforward and requires a broad range of tasks.
- Requires the ability to solve problems of nature that are similar to past experiences/problems
- Requires interpretation of documents, rules, procedures, and instructions and will require some application of judgment.
- Requires good observation skills and the ability to coordinate care within a multidisciplinary team.
- Requires good oral and written skills in order to successfully communicate with team, and the ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Physical Requirements
- Continuous stand/walk or lift/handle/carry material or equipment of moderate weight (20 to 50 lbs.) Examples: Nurse, LPNs and physical therapists.
- Located in an indoor area. Examples: patient care providers and laboratory technicians.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Category 1: Tasks that involve exposure to blood, body fluids, tissues, and other potentially infectious materials.
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Provides direct resident care under the supervision of licensed professional nursing team.
- Consistently promotes a positive resident and employee experience.
- Assists with or completes oral hygiene, bathing, dressing, shaving, nail care and hair care of the residents with completeness and accuracy according to plan of care.
- Assists Staff Nurse with treatment procedures as directed, in an accurate and precise manner.
- Prepares and transports or ambulates residents for meals, sets up each resident and resident's tray within 15 minutes of their arrival; assists in feeding residents (if necessary) and distributes water and other nourishments according to resident's needs; regularly provides residents with fresh water.
- Assists and accompanies resident in the admission, transfer, and discharge process while assuring comfort and safety; performs and documents resident admission data correctly.
- In accordance with policies and legal limitations, administers specified medication, and provides accurate and complete documentation in the Electronic Medical Record (EMR).
- Provides Indirect Resident Care by ensuring privacy for all residents by closing doors, utilizing curtains, shades down (at night and during cares), keeping resident properly covered during cares, knocking on doors before entering and using low tone of voice.
- Demonstrates an awareness and understanding of residents' needs for comfort and safety; follows through accurately to provide residents with good nursing care. Keeps call light within resident's reach, answers call lights promptly and courteously, and responds to requests.
- Cleans work areas on own initiative; maintains assigned residents rooms in a clean and sanitary condition at all times; assists in cleaning and organizing of the work area.
- Assumes responsibility for residents' clothing and personal property (prosthetic devices, hearing aids, glasses, etc.) by securing items in accordance with established procedures; accurately notes and always provides for safe care of residents' valuables.
- Accurately marks all residents' valuables and clothing.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values ~ Living Our Values, and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
Methodist Health System