- Purpose of Job
Responsible for daily operations, staff, performance improvement, compliance with accreditation standards, budget and quality outcomes.
Manage and direct the daily operation of assigned areas and staff. Develop, implement, maintain and enforce departmental programs, policies, procedures and protocols. Ensure and maintain required documentation for compliance with safety, environmental and infection control standards and with local, state and federal regulations. Monitor compliance with standards, identify variances or inabilities to meet established targets and implement action to ensure that targets are met.
- Job Requirements
- 2 year associates in Nursing required.
- BSN preferred.
- Participates in mandatory in services and continuing education programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies.
- Minimum 3 years previous healthcare experience required.
- 0-2.99 years supervisory experience preferred.
- Current valid Registered Nurse (RN) license, valid compact multistate license to work in Nebraska or Iowa (work state), or a temporary permit while awaiting licensure required.
- Able to organize and perform multiple tasks, problem-solve and prioritize work assignments.
- Advanced interpersonal relationship and customer service skills required to effectively communicate with staff, physicians, administrators, patients, visitors and vendors.
- Ability to mentor, supervise, delegate and evaluate.
- Knowledge of clinic operations and processes.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong verbal communication skills for positive interaction with staff and physicians.
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend various written reports and documents.
- Requires the ability to provide transportation to other campus, and/or work-related locations within a reasonable timeframe.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Rare (1%-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) Blood or Body Fluid (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Essential Job Functions
- Effectively analyzes problems. Provides timely point of service resolution.
- Anticipates consequences.
- Is action oriented - takes initiative.
- Secures the organizations long-term ability to serve.
- Promotes new/innovative approaches. Implements smart systems for better utilization of resources.
Participative Decision Maker by demonstrating a desire to make an important contribution
- Promote services internally and externally.
- Liaison for referring physicians, patients and families.
- Continually enhancing the customer's experience at all Methodist Health System locations.
- Community networking.
- Regular site visits for all locations.
- Serves on various committees and attends meetings within scope of responsibility.
Heightened Focus on Efficiency
- Develops detailed project/task plans.
- Determines priorities/appropriately allocates resources.
- Procures resources needed to work effectively.
- Delegate authority when appropriate.
- Identifies potential problems and analyzes root causes.
- Considers relevant issues before action, including effect on all parts of the organization.
- Acts promptly and decisively.
- Develops enthusiasm for day-to-day tasks.
- Encourages the achievement of important objectives.
- Recognizes special contributions/rewards excellence.
- Maintains good working relationships outside own area of responsibility.
- Develops, implements and supports organization and department policies and articulates the information in a clear and timely manner.
- Hold regular department meetings and keep minutes.
- Meet required deadlines, i.e. complete variance reports in the time frame set.
- Staff meetings held a minimum of 6 times a year with agenda and meeting minutes prepared and distributed for every meeting.
Improves patient care/customer service and fosters personal responsibility
- Patient Population Criteria including age specific.
- Seizes opportunities to improve department performance.
- Sets an example with personal behavior/commitment to high standards.
- Takes responsibility for difficult, controversial decisions.
- Acknowledges decision/plan not working.
- Keeps promises/honors commitments.
- Provides clear performance expectations even with difficult messages.
- Follows through on ideas/concerns.
- Consults with supervisor and other affected parties before making major changes.
- Listens to concerns without getting defensive.
- Creates a comfortable environment for giving and receiving constructive feedback.
- Aware of how decision making affects other areas in the organization.
- Promotes collaborative relationships.
- Remains current on any internal and external issues. Responsible for delivery of quality and regulatory standards of care.
- Handles and documents patients complaints according to clinic policy 98% of the time.
- Follow “Age Specific Criteria” 100% of the time.
Catalyst - selects the right people to serve our patients/customers
- Supervises to ensure effective department workflow.
- Uses organization criteria for job selection.
- Identifies/leverages others' unique strengths when assigning tasks.
- Provides and promotes opportunities for education and to develop skills.
- Provides extra instruction or coaching by one-to-one mentoring.
- Prevents high-impact staff departures when possible.
- Identifies candidates for succession planning and prepares candidates for promotional opportunities.
- Proactively identifies and resolves conflict.
- Is fair in negotiating solutions to conflict, using tact and sensitivity.
- Facilitates open communication and joint decision-making.
- Effectively develops pride in department achievements.
- Is sympathetic/supportive.
- Aware of how area of responsibility affects others.
- Completes performance evaluations and/or corrective action. If does not possess the same or similar education/licensure, facilitates co-evaluation completion with expert.
- Is present for all engagements and punctual.
- Ensures staff compliance in accordance with policies, position, and regulatory requirements.
- Obtains physician overall satisfaction rating of 90%.
- Staff performs competently 95% of the time.
- Staff who do not perform competently are handled under the corrective action/performance improvement guidelines 100% of the time.
Demonstrates Fiscal Responsibility - utilizes human, material, fiscal resources of assigned department(s) within budgetary guidelines or within acceptable budget variances.
- Assists in preparing a realistic budget within established guidelines.
- Assists in the development and implementation of cost saving process changes or alternative products or procedures.
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of revenue drivers.
- Ensures budget compliance and takes corrective action when variances are identified.
- Implements a budget based master scheduling and staffing plan for assigned department(s).
- Adjusts staffing on an as needed basis to meet patient care needs and budget target.
Coordinates staff schedules to ensure adequate coverage by reviewing request/rotation sheets and vacation time and physician schedules and scheduling and assigning work accordingly.
- Maintains adequate staffing levels 90% of the time.
Methodist Health System