- Purpose of Job
- Registers and dismisses patients in a courteous and timely manner, including patients in the restricted areas in MRI (Zone 3). Creates accurate patient records during the registration process through verification of patient demographics, financial and visit information. Electronically verifies payer source/eligibility, patient financial responsibility and performs point of service collections, as appropriate. Makes referrals to financial counselor, as appropriate. Ensures a high level of customer service according to established criteria in the Emergency Department in the organization.
- Job Requirements
- Requires high school diploma, General Educational Development (G.E.D) or equivalent.
- Previous health care registration, customer service, insurance or billing experience required.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- Requires the ability to provide transportation to other campus locations within a reasonable timeframe.
- Requires the knowledge of phone etiquette and some medical terminology.
- Strong computer skills required: Ability to open and navigate Outlook, attachments in Word and Excel and utilize a scanner and copier.
- Requires the skills in basic mathematics to support collections of payments: including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Requires the ability to work independently and to collect data from patients that is required for entry into the system.
- Required the ability to multitask with strong attention to details of registration process.
- Requires the ability to relate to patients in a kind, courteous and helpful manner.
- Requires the ability to relate to fellow workers, in all departments of hospital, and deal with people in a crisis situation.
- Ability to transport/escort patients and guests/family members to appropriate locations via stairs, elevators or ramps.
- Ability to communicate with others through a glass barrier.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Not neccessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Distinguish colors
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Accurately registers and dismisses patients in a courteous and timely manner.
- Registers patients in the electronic registration system to NMH in a courteous and timely manner.
- Reviews and explains all registration forms prior to obtaining signatures from the patient or patient representative.
- Performs bedside visits, as needed to complete the registration process and point of service collections.
- Scans patient identification documents into the registration encounter.
- Follows all precautions for basic MRI safety when registering patients in the MRI restricted areas.
- Effectively communicates with anxious and agitated people in a calm manner.
Verifies and enters insurance/payer information.
- Obtains compete and accurate payer information and scans identification and payer documents and enters the information into the electronic registration system.
- Verifies eligibility of coverage according to department guidelines.
- Completes Medicare Secondary Payer questionnaire and other payer specific documents (including ABN) as required.
- Uses open ended interviewing techniques to obtain accurate insurance information from the patient.
Advises patients of their copayment requirement in a respectful and courteous manner. Documents and secures all payments according to policy.
- Accurately collects and posts payments according to policy as measured by observation, feedback and monthly audits.
- Accurately performs all reconciliation procedures pertaining to the collection of copayments.
- Safeguards cash and receipts by following established department criteria
- Notifies supervisor of any discrepancies in a timely manner.
- Refers patients to Patient Financial Counselors, as appropriate, and documents referrals.
- Documents all attempts for collections and reason collection attempt failed.
Consistently adheres to Safety and Infection Control guidelines, to assure a safe work environment, according to hospital policy.
- Immediately reports any unsafe conditions or accidents
- Exercises discretion in identifying situations which may be inappropriate for interaction with patients. Consults clinical staff as needed.
Completes tasks and work responsibilities associated with a shift, to maintain a productive department, as outlined in training plan.
- Provides all necessary written or verbal communications regarding tasks, incomplete work, problems, and issues to the supervisor in a timely manner
Displays adaptability to assure department staffing needs are met.
- Works additional shifts and accepts additional tasks, projects and assignments dictated by volume, absences or administrative direction.
- Respectful toward peers and management time by returning scheduling calls/texts.
Maintains teamwork spirit, positive mentoring.
- Willingly assists with training and/or cross training of new employees.
- Positively and actively assists with the implementation of new procedures, schedules and job tasks necessary, to ensure success and advocation of same.
- Contributes to department training and orientation.
- Assists co-workers as needed
- Escalates ideas instead of complaints.
Performs periodic, situational and other duties as required.
- Operates and assists in the maintenance of all office equipment, to assure efficient performance, as outlined in the training program.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
Methodist Health System