Company:NICO National Indemnity Company
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, we offer outstanding opportunities for professionals interested in working with a successful company. We offer unparalleled financial strength, stability and "large company" benefits, in addition to an exciting, friendly, "small company" atmosphere.
National Indemnity is on the search for leadership! We have an Information Systems Manager position immediately available, managing teams within Software Development.
This position is responsible for managing, coaching, and making daily decisions on various software systems developed and used by the primary group operations. Responsible for participating and overseeing the research, development, testing, delivery and maintenance of the software systems. Responsible for the supervision of various levels of employees within the Software Development department.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, computer engineering, or related field or experience
- 5-7 years related work experience
- Experience or working knowledge of Agile Software Development methodologies
- Application development; database design
- Insurance coverages and rating schemes and insurance products
- Company, agency and department practices and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication with all levels of the organization and with Agents
- Mathematical and statistical analysis
- Computer programming
- Database architecture
- Serves as Information Systems Manager responsible for managing, coaching, directing and making daily decisions on various software systems developed and used by the primary group operations for underwriting, billing and sales activities. Responsible for participating and overseeing the research, development, infrastructure, testing, delivery and maintenance of the software systems. Identifies problems, researches potential solutions, makes decisions regarding necessary changes, and evaluates the programming language and coding approach to use in the rating, policy contract, billing, sales and other software products. Makes development decisions and determines priorities within authority for coding new products and for revising and updating existing software applications.
- Designs activities of unit personnel in determining work procedures, issuing written and oral instructions, analyzing and resolving work problems, and assisting employees in solving work problems. Supervises the training of unit personnel. Interviews job candidates and initiates or recommends personnel actions including hiring, promotions, transfers, discharges, disciplinary measures, performance appraisals, salary adjustments, and staffing levels.
- Directs staff in the design, programming, maintenance, and implementation of various Company software technologies which may include Company rating software products. Company contract software products, billing software products, sales and marketing software applications, and others. Directs staff and works through software product administrators to affect ongoing changes including new applications, product conversions and substantial product enhancements.
- Designs and directs staff in the design, programming, maintenance, testing, disaster recovery and implementation of computer application projects for existing product lines in the primary group operation. Participates in the research and evaluation process required to identify where new computer applications and software would provide better information and/or make workflow easier and more efficient.
- Analyzes and identifies inefficiencies or problems within software applications, solves problems, and determines need for changes to the software to enhance performance or capabilities of the systems. Analyzes and directs others in the programming efforts relating to data connectivity between various software products allowing for better, more efficient information movement and availability.
- Oversees testing processes for software applications and connectivity between systems. Responsible for reasonable product quality and maintenance standards for software products distributed to external agents and other customers.
- Performs related duties as situation dictates such as participating in special projects, etc.