2226 East Dominguez St Long Beach California 90810-1086
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position
This is an individual contributor position responsible for preparing products and materials for the galvanizing process by hanging angle on spreader bars, staging tubular products, and preparing small parts for galvanizing. The Material Handler will also be responsible for inspecting and identifying production fixtures, chains, and hooks to ensure proper repair or discarding of unsafe items. Incumbent will also hand wire small to medium sized parts to racks for pickling or galvanizing, pull and place chains and ropes around steel bundles for racking, and move pieces of steel by hand from different locations in the plant and yard. The Material Handler also performs paddling functions to enhance the quality level of the various galvanized products using air guns to blow off zinc needles. Additional duties include using air or electric powered tools to help prepare steel for pickling or galvanizing, assisting in general plant clean up and housekeeping, and working safely with the required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), which includes the ability to complete a respirator fit test per OSHA standards which requires candidate/incumbent to trim or remove facial hair that interferes with the seal of the respirator.
- Screen materials to be galvanized and report unsafe or inappropriate materials
- Operate the overhead bridge crane in a safe, secure, and productive manner
- Perform paddling functions to enhance the quality level of galvanized products
- Wear required personal protective equipment and follow facility safety regulations
- Maintain a safe and productive working environment
- Inspect and report any materials that are rusty, damaged, bent, missing welds, or improperly vented.
Important Details about the Role
The Material Handler reports to the Shift Supervisor, who in turn reports to the Production Manager or Operations Manager. Within the current organizational structure, the Operations Manager reports directly to the General Manager of the Valley Coatings site. The Material Handler does not have any direct subordinates, but does support the General Shop Help. The job level held is that of individual contributor within the function of Production.
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- The ability to read and follow written and verbal instructions
- The ability to add and subtract
- A working knowledge of production hand tools and gauges
- Must have a high awareness for safety at all times
- The ability to accurately read a tape measure
- The ability to lift, push, pull and carry up to 50 pounds
- Must be a person of passion and integrity who has the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- One year of previous experience in a manufacturing environment
- One year of previous experience in a galvanizing or coatings environment
- The ability to communicate and interact with coworkers in a positive manner
- The ability to pay attention to detail and follow work instructions
- The ability to recognize hazardous substances and to know basic employee responsibilities for chemical safety
- The ability to recognize and solve practical problems or issues
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Valmont Industries, Inc.